Tuesday 4 July 2017
At one stage we had a run of good fortune with bad weather only arriving after our work had finished and we back at the cars. Today this luck returned and rain only started an hour afterwards. The morning had been sunny followed later by a bit of cloud making for quitter pleasant conditions for working.
|Rob, Peter and Greg on Erica patch Photo from Michelle
As sometimes happens, what was thought to be a short job turned out to be much bigger. The
cause was discovering a patch of Spanish heath, in fact a nursery of the nasty stuff. It took a while but eventually the whole of the site was cleared. It was also noticed that some bushes seemed to have been browsed prior to the current year growth.
The area was previously cleared in July 2015.
Devils Throne Reroute
Tuesday 20 June 2017
We had the day reserved for another task, but it got done the previous week, which left a free day to do a bit of refinement to the Devils Throne reroute. On the way both there and back we walked on the proposed route from Thark Ridge to the reroute start that avoids the unpleasant boulder field on the existing track. The three of us concurred that is what a much better option. It took about 30 minutes, but if it was made into a track the time would be not be dissimilar to the existing track. More information on the proposed route is online.
Some additional trimming of low scrub was done and a considerable amount of rock work, both manoeuvring rocks to make passage easier and adding some to the softer bits of the new track. One short scree remains to be done and a short wet area where water drains off the moorland.
|Close view of the rock work performed by Greg
Tuesday 6 June 2017
A few days prior the weather forecast looked a bit foreboding, but as the day drew closer things started to modify. It turned out to be fine, often sunny and generally quite pleasant.
The site has been worked over for some years and it was just small Spanish Heath plants to hand pull. Most tended to be confined to a number of spots rather than spread widely.
Right on the morning break, Harry from Glenorchy City arrived with a surprise of tasty pastries and muffins: Greatly appreciated and we found it easy to delay returning to work while there was still some remaining.
By the knockoff time we had swept through the whole site and removed all the weeds found. Although the threatened Epacris virgate was mostly looking to be battling it was good to find a healthy patch of yellow riceflower, Pimelea flava subsp. flava; a reasonably rare plant for the area. There is a record of a sighting here made in 2006.
| yellow riceflower, Pimelea flava subsp.
Tuesday 2 May 2017
Although the work was cancelled because of the weather
prevailing on the morning, some activities went ahead in lieu. Harry from Glenorchy City wanted to survey a
site in Goat Hills to assess how much work would be involved in clearing the
When I arrived, there was a new volunteer, Chris, was
waiting. It transpired that the Wildcare
booking system had stopped sending advisory emails to the group and so I was
unaware that he would be there. Wildcare
has been told about the problem and hopefully the system has now been rectified.
From the time, we started up the fire trail the weather
turned fine and there were sunny periods. It is always a quandary with the
weather, but a decision on cancelling had to be made by 7:30 am, but the bush remained
quite wet which is not ideal conditions for working in.
Back to the survey, the area has patches of Erica of differing
concentrations and covers some 1.3 hectares. With luck a contractor can be organised to do
the work over the next few months.
Wednesday 12 April 2017
On the day prior to the scheduled work we learnt that Pinnacle Road may be closed until 10 AM,
because of helicopter shuttling track materials. By late afternoon notice was received that
the road would in fact be open, so the work was able to go ahead.
|Peter clearing vegetation
The previous day’s rain was still sitting on the bushes as low cloud cover didn’t permit
dispersal. Sun did eventually arrive and it became a very pleasant day. Initially the best route had to be selected before the clearing work could commence. Progress was good especially considering that
quite a bit of the work involved cutting dense low vegetation and 165 metres of new track was done. This brings our overall length cut to 310 metres leaving 450 metres to go.