Radiata Pines at Disappearing Tarn

Wednesday 18 January 2012

After spending some of the morning learning about the threat from Orange Hawkweed we moved on to the Springs where after walking past it twice the reported Holly was spotted; it was hard to see how we could have missed but there you go.

From there we went to Disappearing Tarn to track down a reported Radiata Pine which was found exactly where described. On closer inspection we discovered that other pines had been cut down years ago and  the one in question had been partly cut into.   Three other pines were also located nearby.  Apart from a smallish one , all the living specimens had been cut or partly ringbarked.   They may or may not have been poisoned as well as cut, but nevertheless were still alive and generally healthy.

The four live pines were all completely and heavily ringbarked and herbicide applied to the cut.

It appears that pines don’t reshoot if cut down   but if not ringbarked enough  may continue growing.    It is not known if the ones cut down in the past were also poisoned.  All we have ringbarked have also had herbicide applied (glyphosate)

IMG_6155 Radiata Pine 3 at Disappearing Tarn

Advertisements

Thark Ridge Track Reroute

Tuesday 17 January 2012

The reroute for the start of Thark Ridge was reviewed and adjusted to make use of the best ground conditions.  The work done was from the western end and close to 500 metres cut.  Rocks were used to harden a small section over a drainage line at the far western end.  The final part remaining was reassessed and a more direct route found, with only a very small and easy rock traverse involved. It is about 230 metres then joins one of the existing pads for another 170 metres to the car park.  The optional way is longer by 50 metres.

The remaining work is scheduled for 25 January.

Before and After photos, showing that not a lot of vegetation had to be removed to make the new track

IMG_6143 Site A View North BeforeIMG_6145 Site A View North After

Inglewood Site Gorse Removal

Tuesday 10 January 2012

After working on seedlings at the two previous working bees in the area, most welcomed getting back to tackling the mature Gorse bushes at the lower (eastern) end of the Inglewood site. Quite a thick area of Gorse, now with quite a number of tall Cotoneaster bushes and Blackberry were also encountered.  There now only remains a small patch of Gorse and Blackberry to finish off the primary work.  The Blackberry has all been just small outbreaks, but that remaining is a bit larger.   A 4wd drive width track marks the end of the forested area and also our work site, but below this a line of Blackberry and gorse right down to Strickland avenue which will be left for the HCC to determine how it should be managed.
Near the park entrance there is a patch of Gorse that may be tackled at future working bees

Showers caused us to finish work about 30 minutes early